Sunday, February 22, 2015

Two In One Day ... It's starting to be a habit

35 Minutes (25 min walk, 10 min trot)
Rode Morgan - Solo
Distance: 2.91 miles

I got a new saddle pad which fit Morgan perfectly!  Which means the green one belongs to Reagan. Figured it was going to rain tonight, so I'd better get a ride or two in quickly.


Morgan was reminding me I hadn't brushed her mane yet

We walked our normal path before I swung into the saddle.  She's so much better about holding still now when I go to mount.  She set her own pace today with me just providing guidance on where to go and when to slow down for the footing changes.  
Morgan selfies ... they make me laugh

Morg chose the route back, and we meandered through the streets until we arrived home.  It was a wonderful, but too short, ride in my opinion.

Morgan failed to notice a girl walking a dog ... when she did see them, she made a sharp swerve to the right which had me off kilter for a few seconds.   Never had her do that before, but no harm, no foul. 

35 Minutes (20 min walk, 5 min ride, 10 min mounting groundwork)
Walked/Rode Reagan - Solo
Distance: 1.24 miles

Saddled Reagan up just for the practice and because I wanted to see how the green looked on her ... it's not bad ... wish it was teal or navy blue, but I can get used to it
Reagan selfies are just as funny!

Took Reagan for a walk out the front gate, and the goat tried to follow us.  We had to turn around and chase the goat back onto the property.  *sigh*
Reagan is never too pleased about walking, but the tuft of hair between her ears makes me giggle every time I see it

When we got to the normal turn around spot, I led Reagan over to the area I usually mount Morgan from and tried putting my weight in the stirrup.  Reagan immediately moved forward.  So, we spent a few minutes relaxing and learning to just stand quietly while I got settled in the saddle.
Reagan's wonky ears

I slid into the saddle and let her move forward, but she wouldn't walk calmly and was breathing heavily.  I stopped her, walked beside her for a bit, then tried getting in the saddle again.  We had to have the discussion about standing still while I mounted again, but eventually I sat in the saddle and asked her to walk.
Yep, that's the view between sorrel ears, at a nice, calm pace

We repeated the process three more times over the course of a half mile, but finally she held still the first time I put my foot in the stirrup, relaxed into a walk, and dropped her head.  All the tension left her and I grabbed the camera and took a few pictures from the saddle.

She's going to be just fine, as long as I stay calm and quiet, she will learn what's expected and what is acceptable behavior.  I really like this mare ... she just needs guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment