Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Arrival of Rhulain ...

So ... way back in late February I saw this sweet face on the ForeverMorgans website ...

 
I read the ad ... 7 year old, trained for trail riding, black mare, 14 hh ... exactly what I wanted as an endurance racing prospect.  She was named after the "High Rhulain" series of books written by Brian Jacques. 

I was smitten.  I filled out the application.  

When I was approved as an adopter we hired a transport company to bring her to Vegas from New York.   
The transporter was supposed to arrive about 3:00 pm, but by 7:00 pm he still wasn't near the house.  So, I let Morgan out to keep me company while I pulled weeds ... she's incredibly helpful at eating the grass.

And then we got a text from the transporter at 8:30 pm.  
He was lost.
Bill hopped in the truck and drove around the valley until he located the transporter and guided him to our house.  

Out stepped the most gorgeous horse I have ever seen ... she circled the handler a few times then settled right down.  Unfamiliar territory, pure darkness, strange horses calling out, strange people near her, shifting sand under her hooves, and she handled it with level-headed grace.
The handler walked her to her new enclosure, whispered in her ear (he really wanted to keep her ... he offered to buy her twice), and then took off her halter.  She checked out her enclosure then made goo-goo eyes at Majesty.  She is in heat, and I don't have the heart to tell her he's a gelding and won't look so attractive next week when her hormones have settled down.

The pictures just don't do her justice .. her muscles are astounding, that mane is gorgeous, not a stitch of white anywhere on her, and she moves so beautifully my breath hitched watching her walk down the driveway.

I'm simply over the moon.  Bill is quite taken with her as well ... he's offered to put the first ride on her for me.  As kind and thoughtful as that is, I think I'll keep her all to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment