Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Today is NOT yesterday

55 minutes - 2.31 miles - Rhulain
Does this look like the face of a horse that almost dumped me today?  Hmmm.  She's lucky she is so kissable.

We walked for 0.75 miles then I swung into the saddle.  She fell apart ... head high, confidence draining, rushed hooves.  What was this?

I asked for a left turn. I got a clear "No." I "explained" this wasn't an option and we made the left turn.  Barely 2 minutes after our discussion, we were trotting along politely when she swung a hard left and jumped up an embankment.  I hadn't asked for the turn nor the jump and almost fell over her neck. What?

I had her turn around and get back to the path, walk a bit, then dismounted.  I checked the saddle (no slipping or pinching), checked the cinch (no issues there), lifted all four hooves (no rocks or tenderness), and checked the headstall (no twisted or pinchy parts).  Hmmmm.

We walked next to each other for 5 minutes, then I got back into the saddle and turned her towards home.  She was awfully spooky and full of "No" today.  We had to do quite a number of circles near the house and two laps in the yard today.  Tells me I've let her sit too long and she doesn't trust me as much.  Ok, dully noted.  We'll do some more ground work tomorrow before I saddle up ... and then we will ride.

On a good note, I took off her headstall and rubbed all her itchy spots after the ride.  She leaned into me and sighed.  She's a good girl ... an amazing mare ... tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment