Saturday, March 26, 2016

Busy Saturday

23 minutes - 0.59 miles - Morgan
10 minutes - 0.21 miles - Morgan - lesson with A
10 minutes - 0.04 miles - Sundance
15 minutes - 0.25 miles - Wasabi

The morning started off with A and I painting the gate.  Nothing is more messy than a 4 year old with a paint roller and absolute freedom.  The gate is not pretty, but it looks much cleaner.
Then our new farrier showed up and surprised me by trimming their hooves in the turn out.  Rhu wouldn't hold still, so I had to halter her and keep her in check.  She was fascinated by the farrier and kept her nose pressed to my back or close enough to the farrier for shavings to get in her bangs while everyone else got their trims.  It was kind of adorable.
While I was scrubbing and filling water buckets, A came over to see if he could help.  I said, "Sure, keep Sundance occupied for a few minutes so she'll quit flipping water buckets over" and popped him up on her back.  She was delighted to have her neck and withers scratched and was extra careful about walking anywhere ... one step, check on the boy, another step, check on the boy.
After water buckets, I moved on to staining the front gate.  After all that work, I decided I needed some Morgan time.  We escaped out the freshly painted gate and rode around the block.  Of course, once I returned, a certain little somebody asked why I was riding his horse.  HIS HORSE.  Really?  I popped him in the saddle and walked in front of them from one gate to the next.  I had explained how to "steer" with the reins, and turned around to find he and Morgie wandering off to the other side of the yard ... apparently he decided to turn right and she, being the awesome mare that she is, obeyed the reins.  Hmmm.
For reasons unknown to either of us, I felt the urge to pull Wasabi out and take a short walk around the property.  Then she got a good grooming, a snack, and hugs before I fed dinner.  She seemed to appreciate the attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment