Thursday, October 1, 2015

Learning the Half-Halt

20 minutes ground work - Rhulain
16 minutes riding - 0.37 miles

Rhu and I been having trouble with our transitions.  I know she was trained English, so I went online and read how an English rider cues a transition.  I learned was that they use a "half-halt" to signal that a change is coming ... kind of a "pay attention" cue.

I read how to do a half halt, practiced in the car while driving to try and gain muscle memory.  My mantra for the last few days has been "hands steady, sit deep, squeeze with legs, release."

Today Rhu and I spent time in the yard.  I asked her to take a bit today because she was trained with one.  We worked on walk, half-halt, whoa.  Then walk, half-halt, trot, half-halt, walk.  I tried really hard to be consistent and every time I got the cue correct she responded perfectly. I need more work on the trot to half-halt cue.
Rhu had saddle difficulties today.  I had her freestanding and as soon as I turned to get the saddle, she walked off. *sigh*  Caught her, lunged, and then back to the tack shed for saddling.  She ran off and dumped the saddle before I got it cinched. *sigh*  Checked the saddle pad for any debris, checked the saddle for anything that may be poking her, then set it back in place.  After our work out, she spooked when I placed the cinch across the seat (something I've done every time we ride) and she dumped the saddle again. *sigh*

I called her name, she turned around and walked back to me, then put her head in my torso.  I rubbed her ears, cuddled her and told her how very much I loved her and was proud of how well she worked today.  I thanked her for bearing with me while I learned something new and I meant every word.  

I love this horse and when I listen to her she speaks volumes. Today I think she was saying the saddle doesn't fit.  We'll try the treeless again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment