Thursday, August 18, 2016

Lesson Horse?

23 minutes - 1.05 miles - Morgan & Foster
Who knew Morgan would turn out to be a lesson horse?  Gone are the days of me swearing no one else would ever ride her, and I only partially curse under my breath when she gives the kid a ride.

It seemed like the right time to pop him in the saddle and take him for a walk off property. I attached reins to her halter just so he would get used to holding them rather than the horn.  Showed him how to mount properly, and off we went.

We went up and down some mild washes so he could learn to balance as she stepped up or down, she stepped lightly over the fallen log, and he learned how to get her to back up using the "reins." 

Morgan was really well behaved, and only slightly mugged me for the carrots she knew where hidden in my front pocket.  Good girl Morgie.  

As we approached the gate, I looped the lead rope over the saddle horn and let the two of them walk "alone."  He thought he was big stuff and she was a model of good behavior.

Oh how I love this horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment