Friday, June 5, 2015

Wardrobe Malfunctions

23 minutes - Rhulain - 0.71 miles

We left the tack shed looking like this ... bitless bridle, soft eye, and plenty of sunshine.
We walked to the mounting block and I realized Rhu only had one rein.
Um. What? 
She'd stepped on the other one and it broke.  Ok.  
Changed headstalls and we're off.

About half mile away from the house, my right foot slipped.  When I looked down, the stirrup was dangling upside down from my boot.  I lifted my foot, plopped the stirrup onto the saddle horn and we continued on down the road.

The dog "helped" find the blevins buckle on our property.  Bill made him drop the buckle or I think the dog and I would have ended up wrestling.  Not sure I would have won.
Asked her to step over a small sand dune and come down the other side ... it was filled with dead bushes and dried grasses.  She couldn't see the sand through the debris.

She stood and thought about it, then backed up.  I asked her to circle around and then right back up to the precipice and I sat in the saddle and talked encouragingly.  After the third time, she stepped down and walked through the debris.

I hugged her, praised her, and scratched her neck.  I didn't push her, but I was there for her ... she just needed to think things through and decide it wasn't scary.
Other things I learned from today:
Rhu does NOT want to take a bit.  Lots of head tossing and backing away from the bit.
Rather than fight about it, I used the back up bitless.

She was in a mood to stretch her legs today.  
Rather than fight to keep her at a walk, we headed out into the open desert and let her pick her pace and direction.  She settled immediately and we had an enjoyable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment