Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Goodbye Traveller

Traveller was our first horse and we had to say goodbye to him this morning.  Last night he was laying down and had trouble getting up, but this morning he could no longer stand and take more than a few steps before collapsing.  We called the vet and they came out to the house to see what could be done.  

As the vet was talking about options that were available, he mentioned putting Traveller to sleep, and big T started nodding his head.  Guess he knew it was that time as well.  He went peacefully, with his head in Bill's lap.  It was an incredibly sad morning, but I am so very grateful we had the opportunity to be with him at the last moments.

Big T on September 28, 2014

Traveller was rescued from a feedlot auction on November 3, 2007 for $200.00 by Shiloh Horse Rescue.  They estimated his age as 23 years and 11 months at that time.

When we first visited Shiloh Horse Rescue, the owner showed us a few horses that would be appropriate for our skill level.  The moment I put a halter on Traveller, I felt a zing and knew instantly this was the horse for Bill.  On January 19, 2008, Bill adopted this big thoroughbred and they spent the next 6 and half years as partners and friends.  
Traveller at Shiloh in November 2007

We owe so much to this horse ... he was a pivot point that changed the course of our lives forever.  Because of him, Bill got over his fear of horses and learned to ride, I got the chance to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning a horse, we moved from Las Vegas to our rural town, met a whole new group of friends, Bill got a new career, we bought our first house, and basically changed our entire lifestyle.

Everything we have done since January 2008 has been a direct result of purchasing that big lug nut.  I can't possibly imagine a life without my horses now, and I owe that feeling of being whole to Traveller.  


He taught us good things, like how to maintain your seat when your horse makes a 3 foot leap to one side for no apparent reason, or how to keep your feet out from under his gargantuan hooves, and how to fly - he liked to shove me with that big head of his and it would send me flying forward a few feet.  He was the first horse my son ever rode, and the reason my son won't ride at a trot anymore (Trav had the worst trot ever. Seriously, WORST EVER).

He watched over the herd and accepted all the horses that came and went until we were able to settle on our current pack of mismatched horses.  He was always a patient leader and mostly a good sport.

One of my favorite memories was when we turned all six horses out for the first time, and he gave them a "round pen" lesson.  I also loved when he would get wind up his nostrils and would buck and snort like a youngster. 

I'm going to miss that old guy.  The yard isn't going to be the same without his booming call whenever a horse trailer pulls up.  Thank you for everything T, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment