Sunday, November 13, 2016

Sweat and Tears - All the Joys of Horsemanship

30 minutes ground work
36 minutes - 1.15 miles - Rhulain
15 minutes - 0.41 miles - Morgan
 Since Rhu had an issue with the branch touching her leg last night, I decided to work with her legs today. I rolled a ball in her stall over and over until she seemed to accept that it wasn't going to eat her.  After 30 minutes she let me touch her all over with the ball and kick it right to her while she stood still.  She was drenched in sweat, but finally calm.

I let her rest for a bit before saddling her up. We rode around the yard, then out the gate to step over brush and trash, then back to the yard for a lap ... rinse and repeat the pattern. She got a good grooming since she was still drenched, lots of praise, but no snacks.
About an hour later, I saddled up Morgan for the kid and worked on releasing the "reins" when stopping.  We worked on sitting the trot, and he got a bit ahead of me ... then the doberman got excited and snapped at Morgie's butt ... she took off running.  

I caught up with them a minute later, and found him in the saddle crying.  I asked him why there were tears and he said he was afraid of falling.  I told him tears were allowed only after falling!  Then we talked about why she ran off, how well she took care of him, and praised him for staying in the saddle without grabbing on to the horn.  Not a bad lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment