Monday, June 11, 2012

June 11, 2012 - Finding Contentment

For adults, hours in the saddle are stolen pleasures.

Rode Traveller in the turn out.  He wasn't happy as dinner had just been served.  Had to figure a way to climb on him bareback - decided to let him eat in his stall while I climbed up.  Rode around the turn out for a few minutes, but it was clear he didn't want to be disturbed.  I forget that sitting on him puts me five feet in the air.  Everything looks so different from that perspective ... I can't see over his head like Morg or Sabi and the ground seems so very far down.

He's bony and high-withered and it's uncomfortable to ride him bareback.  He's slimmer than Morg and not nearly as smooth, but he's oh so patient and slow. :)

Morgan was clearly upset that I rode Traveller.  She had called out to me when I approached the turn out with the bitless, and huffed when I put it on T.  I hopped on her, but she didn't want to ride in the arena and kept going to the gate.  If I had a saddle I would have opened it and gone out, but she was fired up and I didn't want to run with no saddle.

We sat at the gate and looked out at the sand dunes, and watched the sun set.  I realized how comfortable I was on her ... she's wide enough to make me feel secure but not stretched; her head is always straight up but I can see between her ears easily; she chuffs and huffs but it's not scary.  On her back I am at ease.  

With Majesty I get the feeling he'll take care of me.  On Smoke (Lil'Red) I get the feeling I'm the support base and I have to be alert at all times.  On Sabi it's a battle of wills for control.  On Sundance I am comfortable, relaxed, but I feel her limping so I worry about her too much to enjoy more than a few minutes.

With Morgan, I find peace and exhilaration, contentment and thrill.  I, too, want to ride out to the sand dunes with Morg!

No comments:

Post a Comment