Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Round and Round the House We Go

31 minutes - 1.07 miles - Rhulain

So, the plan was to go out the gate on a walk for 0.8 miles, then ride back.  Only the horse in my head wasn't the horse I had in front of me.  She was wild-eyed and downright nutters.  Back up plan?  Ride in the yard, work on figure 8s and downward transitions.

Glad I went with the back up plan.  We walked the first circuit around the yard and through the cones. Then I asked her to stand for mounting.  She had difficulty standing still, so we worked through it by flexing her neck to both sides until she calmed.  Once mounted, we walk/trotted the pattern twice with no issues.  
Our next pass by the front gate found the neighbor and two dogs taking the trash out.  The combination of rattling black bags and two barking dogs sent Rhu's head straight up and elevated her breathing.  I ignored the distractions and asked her go around bushes until I felt her breathing return to normal.  We completed the circuit and did four laps around the cones.  By that time she was calm and collected.

I untacked then asked her to load into the trailer, closed the door, and then exit the trailer.  Then I had her stand next to the trailer and I slid onto her back and asked her to walk around the trailer.  Great ending to a lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment