Sunday, July 15, 2012

July 15, 2012 - Sundance's Pullback Issue

**  July 14, 2012 - Christopher came home **

Morgan, Dance, and Mochie (Smoke) were in the turn out.  I started to groom Morg, but Mochie kept butting in and cuddling.  I groomed her and tossed on the saddle pad, but she walked to the very last stall and put herself away.  sigh.

I saddled up Morgan (which is what I wanted to do initially).  Since Dance was hanging around I figured I could pony her.  I tied her to the saddle horn and started to lead Morg ... Dance pulled back and untied the lead.  I retied a bit better and tried again ... same result.  The third time I tied it better and started to lead Morg, but Sundance pulled back so hard she pulled Morgan back a step or two, and Dance continued to pull back (enough so her front hooves came off the the ground).  Morga held steady and didn't panic.  I got around to the other side and untied Dance once she stopped pulling.  Morgan is amazing.

I put Dance away and rode Morg around.  The weather was 70 degrees, cloudy, slightly windy and the ground was damp from 2 days of rain ... perfect riding weather to go fast!

I walked Morgie to the end of the driveway and tried to mount while having her stand in sand deeper than the packed stuff she was used to; took us 5 tries before she held still.  To her credit, Bill was feeding everyone else while she was having to work.

We blasted down the driveway, to the front of the house, turned and blasted back tot the turn out gate.  We sauntered over to the feed trailer and Bill gave her a cube before we headed to the open desert by their stalls.  She got a bit nervous and I had to ask twice, but we made it to the bush I had selected before we turned and came back to the feed trailer.  Once more up the driveway (that was a bit of a discussion) before we ran back down the driveway, round to the front, and then stopping at the tack shed.  

Morgan is amazing.  Simply amazing ... I couldn't ask for more!

** note to self: don't ride horses in capri pants. Right leg bruised below kneww. Doh! **

No comments:

Post a Comment